Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Fish

This fish looks different from each side. I think I've got a trend going with that lately. The wood was quite different on each side, colored differently, marked differently. The line bisecting the length of the top image is part of the grain. The "eye" on the middle image was a hole that was inside the wood- probably an insect?

This mahogany wood came from a couple of fine cabinet making brothers I grew up with, who became good friends with my carver father. They gave him their scraps- some scraps! I have a couple more pieces of this wood, and alas, the brothers have retired. I've enjoyed for years making very different sculptures out of these similar shapes.

I like the subtle swimming the Fish has going on. I think he's moving slowly through the water, probably the ocean.

The Fish is 17 1/2 inches long, 4 1/2 inches high, 2 inches wide.  Allan Spader, photographer, took the two top photos. His books, his vases. Nice!

No photo description available.


Image may contain: indoor



No comments:

Post a Comment